Casper Star-Tribune: As rest of West mulls Medicaid expansion, Gordon and Throne remain polar opposites

“The political and the legal framework that may have made Gov. (Matt) Mead consider it a few years ago is now different, and I’m not sure if it’s a particularly good solution for Wyoming,” said Republican candidate and state Treasurer Mark Gordon. “So I am not in support of Medicaid expansion.”

“We’ve turned down approximately $500 million in federal funding, which is just ridiculous,” said Democratic candidate Mary Throne, adding that the decision should be a “no-brainer.”

...

Under expansion, the federal government pays 100 percent of the increased cost for a few years. If Wyoming were to expand this year, it would pay 10 percent of the cost, and federal coffers would cover the remaining 90 percent. According to Tom Forslund, the director of the state Department of Health, Wyoming would have received $577 million from the federal government between 2012 and 2018 had the state expanded, and roughly 20,000 people would have qualified for care.

FULL STORY at https://trib.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/health/as-rest-of-west-mulls-medicaid-expansion-gordon-and-throne/article_cfae36c9-8148-5b8a-9e07-aeabad12a549.html